As of 1 July 2014, students with a residence permit for studies in Sweden who have completed at least two semesters of full-time study at a Swedish university will be allowed to stay in Sweden for up to six months to look for work or start a business, making it even easier for you to launch your international career after studying in Sweden.

What applies for me?

If you have a residence permit for studies in Sweden, you can apply to have it extended for up to six months to look for a job. If you receive a job offer during that period meeting certain basic criteria, you can then apply for a work permit to stay in Sweden and work. Simple!

PhD students

New rules will also apply for international PhD students in Sweden, making it easier to receive permanent resident status in Sweden after completing a PhD. According to the new regulations, PhD students who have been in Sweden for four out of the past seven years will be able to qualify for a permanent residence permit.

How do I find a job?

The Swedish labour market offers lots of opportunities for highly-skilled new graduates, particularly in fields like IT and engineering.

For advice on finding work in Sweden, see our article on Working in Sweden or visit Work in Sweden.

Find out more

More information will be published on the Swedish Migration Board’s website as it becomes available. Please contact the Swedish Migration Board directly with questions.