Find out the rules for residence permits and visas for citizens of your country. Policies on visas as well as residence permits pertaining to international students in Sweden vary depending on country of citizenship. This guide offers simple guidelines for residents of non-EU/EEA places, citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic places and Swiss residents.

Citizens of non-EU/EEA/Nordic countries

Stays of less than three months

If you are intending to remain in Sweden for under three months, you will need a visa if the country that issues your passport is on this list. If your country of citizenship is not on the list, you generally can enter Sweden without a visa. You should also confirm possible visa requirements using the Swedish consulate or embassy in charge for your home country.

Stays of more than three months

If your studies in Sweden will last longer than 90 days, you will require a residence permit before coming to Sweden. Permits are issued through the Swedish Migration Board.

To be eligible to have a residence permit intended for studies, you should have been admitted to full-time accredited university studies in Sweden. This consists of paying the first installment of tuition fees.

To make application for a residence permit intended for studies, you will need to:

  • Pay your first tuition fee installment.
  • Ready your supporting documentation. This includes copies of your passport and letter of admission as well as proving that you are able to support yourself financially during your time as a student in Sweden. If you’ll be staying in Sweden for less than one year, you’ll also need proof of comprehensive health insurance plan.
  • Submit the online application.
  • Pay the appliance fee, currently SEK 1, 000.

The current waiting time for a residence permit intended for studies is as much as five months, so be confident to submit your application as quickly as possible after receiving the notification of admission.

Citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic countries

Citizens of EU/EEA/Nordic countries have the right to stay in Sweden without a residence permit or visa.

Citizens of Switzerland

Switzerland citizens are allowed to enter Sweden without a residence permit or visa. However, if you will be studying in Sweden for longer than ninety days, you will need to make application for a residence permit for studies.

If you are a Swiss citizen, visit the Swedish Migration Board’s website for information on how to apply for a residence permit.